|Description||When transported by private motor carrier only, the following corrosive liquids may be packaged in polyethylene bottles with a capacity no greater than 3.785L (one gallon), further packed inside an
open-top, heavy wall, high density polyethylene box (i.e., crate) in a manner that the polyethylene bottles are not subjected to any superimposed weight, and the boxes must be reasonably secured against
movement within the transport vehicle and loaded so as to minimize the possibility of coming in contact with other lading:
- Compounds, cleaning liquid, NA1760, PG II or III;
- Corrosive liquid, acidic, inorganic, n.o.s., UN3264, PG II;
- Corrosive liquid, acidic, organic, n.o.s., UN3265, PG III;
- Corrosive liquid, basic, inorganic, n.o.s., UN3266, PG II;
- Hypochlorite solutions, UN1791, PG III;
- Hydrochloric acid solution, UN1789, PG II; and
- Sulfuric acid, UN2796, PG II.
- a. No more than four bottles, securely closed with threaded caps,
may be packed in each box.
- b. Each empty bottle must have a minimum weight of not less than
140 grams and a minimum wall thickness of not less than 0.020 inch
- c. The completed package must meet the Packing Group II performance
level, as applicable for combination packagings with a plastic box
outer packaging, in accordance with subpart M of part 178 of this
- (i) Tests must be performed on each type and size of bottle, for
each manufacturing location. Samples taken at random must withstand the
prescribed tests without breakage or leakage.
- (ii) One bottle for every two hours of production, or for every
2500 bottles produced, must be tested by dropping a bottle filled to
98% capacity with water from a height of 1.2 meters (3.9 feet) onto
solid concrete directly on the closure.
- (iii) A copy of the test results must be kept on file at each
facility where packagings are offered for transportation, and must be
made available to a representative of the Department upon request.
- (iv) The name or symbol of the bottle producer, and the month and
year of manufacture, must be marked by embossing, ink-jet printing of permanent ink, or other permanent means on the face or bottom of each bottle, in letters and numbers at least 6
mm (0.2 inch) high. Symbols, if used, must be registered with the
- (v) The box must be constructed from high-density polyethylene in
the density range 0.950-0.962, and be capable of holding liquid when in
the upright position.